Dec 01 2003, 11:46 AM
I just started playing disc golf a few weeks ago and my question to all you experienced players is -- At this stage in my development, what sort of distances should I be seeing on my drives?

I'm 26, 5'10", healthy, and throw RHBH. Right now I'm driving with a Cheetah, Beast and Roc (165-175g). I can't seem to get my drives to go more than 200 ft, with most drives being closer to 150 ft. They do go where I'm aiming most of the time, just not far.

I've read all the articles on driving and am putting the advice into practice. Just want to know if I have a hopeless weenie arm or not.

Luke/NJ

james_mccaine
Dec 01 2003, 12:18 PM
That's a good question. I wonder if most players gradually increase their distance after they begin or pretty much "start" with about 80% of their ultimate distance.

I'd answer your question, but it's been so long since I threw my first disc, that I have no idea. 200 ft is not bad for a beginner. Also, don't just assume that you have a weenie arm and all is hopeless. Alot of players have major flaws, that if corrected/overcome, could dramitically increase their distance.

seeker
Dec 01 2003, 01:22 PM
Is that 200 feet on flat throws? Most beginners think you get more distance by throwing high, which is not the case. If you are throwing big rainbows now, you will probably greatly increase your distance with a little technique and coaching.

Dec 01 2003, 01:29 PM
If it's only been a few weeks, I think your fairly normal.

I'd expect you to be throwing 300' within 2-3 months if you're playing regularly.

Dec 01 2003, 05:44 PM
Dude, if you`re throwing fairly straight IMO that`s the most important thing. Also work on your putting, that`s where you`ll see the biggest improvement in your game. The distance will come.

Dec 01 2003, 06:31 PM
2 200' throws on target is a dropin 400' par. At this point be happy, keep playing and work the short game.

Dec 01 2003, 07:52 PM
Beginner? I still feel like a beginner when I play in a tournament, well sometimes.

Where in NJ are you? If you wanna play Rutgers someday, let me know. That is a good course, even if you don't throw 300 feet. :p

Dec 01 2003, 08:04 PM
Noaceyet

My uncle, cousin and I just got into disc golf a few weeks ago after an article in the Courier News on it. Been playing Chimney Rock Park in Bridgewater mostly (real nice course, only 9 holes though) and Harry Dunham Park in Liberty Corner (nice park, most of the holes are open and kinda boring).

Might take you up on your offer about Rutgers sometime (it's my alma mater after all). Took a walk through of the course over the weekend -- seems mostly wooded and short with lotsa trees.

Thanks!

Luke

cantrell
Dec 02 2003, 04:30 PM
After only a few weeks your distance is fine. Gaining distance has less to do with your arm strength and more to do with technique, which will take time. You will be able to add significant distance with no more arm strength than you have now once you learn to throw flat, learn a good rythm and perfect your grip and hit (the point at which the disc leaves your grip). Perfect your technique and the distance will come.

mmaclay
Dec 02 2003, 10:48 PM
Drifter,

Distance takes time and practice. I started out only throwing forehand because it felt natural like a baseball throw and I played a lot of ball. I was pretty good early on distance-wise forehand but people who could throw farther than me threw backhand. So I played for two months of backhand only and developed a pretty good throw that way but it took a lot of time. What I found was when I got really good distance, (You know...where you think WOW did I get into that") my aim was about 45 degrees off to the right. I had to do a lot of adjusting to make things work out most of the time.

So I guess you may not be a "hopeless weenie" but see how you are throwing in another few months. I bet you will surprise yourself. I have played for about six years now and it was only in the past year where something "clicked" technique-wise and I noticed another significant increase in distance of my throws.

If you are thinking about lowering your score though, what helped me the most was getting better in my shots from within 200ft so it was an automatic 2 rather than a short game adventure.

Drive for Show but Putt to Win

-Max
<font color="black"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

eddie_ogburn
Dec 02 2003, 11:02 PM
Make sure you are using a correct grip (power grip for most dgers). Also make sure you are using all of your body to throw, not just your arm. There is a power zone in your body (and this is true for all sports). It is from your knees to your nipples. This is where most of your power is generated. Most beginners I see have the problem of just using their arms and throwing the golf disc like a frisbee. Its not a frisbee... they fly totally different. Good luck.

stevemaerz
Dec 03 2003, 10:07 AM
Drifter,
Welcome to Disc Golf! Have some patience you've only started a few weeks ago so don't be too critical.Many of the posters here have been playing for many years (I've been playing since 1987). I've seen many newbie discgolfers who couldn't throw 160 ft when they started but now are throwing 450+. Practice out on an open field, concentrate on arm speed, acceleration,wrist snap and most important for a beginner a flat release (avoid nose up flights).If you're throwing 200ft now and you practice regularly you'll be over 300ft in 6-9 months. Also,don't be discouraged if your winter practice sessions don't appear to be returning results as discs do not fly as far in colder temps.
I would encourage you to visit the Mid-Atlantic Disc Club website. You can stay informed of what's going on in our region.Matt LaCourte is responsible for puting in the two courses you mentioned and is the main mover-shaker in N.J. He's a good golfer and an all around nice guy so if get a chance to play a round with him it would be good for you. Another super nice guy and good golfer from Rutgers is Bob Graham (beeobee).So try to look these guys up if you can.Good luck and continued improvement! :D

Blarg
Dec 04 2003, 12:56 AM
I've been playing for 3 months, even though I first played in 1976, but that's another story.
One thing that helped me greatly and INSTANTLY was trying lower weight discs. I started with all my discs weighing over 170g (TERRIBLE advice from my first pro-shop guys) and half killed myself for two months trying to gain distance. I finally got around to some much lower weights (145-160) and immediately learned a HUGE amount first hand about throwing.
Since trying the lower weight discs, I've added close to a hundred feet in distance in the past month alone, and I now physically understand what terms like 'turnover,' 'flipping,' 'flexing out,' 'S-curve,' etc. mean and
how to do them fairly consistently.
Disc weight is nearly completely overlooked in most disc discussions, yet for beginners, I believe it is the most influential factor in learning to throw.
Try a 150g driver on a calm day, or with a mild tailwind from over your left shoulder.
Betcha pick up 50 feet in one day! :D

Dec 04 2003, 02:29 AM
wow how has anyone not yet told this dude to go out into a field and just throw?? Work on releasing the disc flat and tryn to get some snap. grip it tight but not with more than 3 fingers IMOHO. But just hit a field once or twice a week and youre money.

Blarg
Dec 04 2003, 04:16 AM
"what helped me the most was getting better in my shots from within 200ft so it was an automatic 2"

I think you meant 'an automatic 3,' unless you're sinking lots
of 200ft up shots! :eek:

Blarg
Dec 04 2003, 04:26 AM
If they are truly new players, they definitely will not start at 80%.
More like 40% (IMHO).

ryangwillim
Dec 04 2003, 12:05 PM
I just want to validate the statement that armstrength has very little to do with distance.

I am always one of the skinniest guys on the course everytime I play, I can only bench press around 130lbs, And I can easily throw over 400' on flat ground.

'Nuff said! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mmaclay
Dec 04 2003, 12:49 PM
By an "automatic 2" I meant it was automatic that it would take only two more shots from 200ft out (if that's from the tee or after an upshot).

I also agree with throwing lighter weights starting out. They are easier to turn over and it takes less snap to get the same acceleration out of them. Then they can work up to the heavier discs if they are turning over discs too much.

Dec 04 2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the good advice guys! I'm hitting an empty field a few days a week and playing on weekends. Starting to feel more comfortable throwing and my distances are coming up a little.

Thanks again!

Luke

eddie_ogburn
Dec 05 2003, 02:57 PM
I just want to validate the statement that armstrength has very little to do with distance.

I am always one of the skinniest guys on the course everytime I play, I can only bench press around 130lbs, And I can easily throw over 400' on flat ground.

Bench press has little to do with arm strength. Its mostly chest :D

Dec 05 2003, 03:13 PM
I believe the muscles that are used in a RHBH throw are mostly back and tricep. Also the snap from the forearm muscle (?). And finger muscles?

slowmo_1
Dec 05 2003, 04:51 PM
I believe the muscles that are used in a RHBH throw are mostly back and tricep. Also the snap from the forearm muscle (?). And finger muscles?

well lets see...the muscles involved in the RHBH throw would be the trapezius, rhombiod, posterior deltiod, lat's, triceps, and rotator cuff (which has 4 muscles I won't bore you with the name of) Of course that's just the muscles that the shoulder uses from the time it starts to throw forward (doesn't include the backswing)

There are of course the muscles in the legs and trunk that supply much more power than the shoulder alone.

I'll stop before I bore people because I know you didn't ask for an anatomy lesson.

circle_2
Dec 05 2003, 05:01 PM
Did someone say anatomy?!!
I believe it was Christian Sandstrom that said he'd spent much time with his national Olympic trainers...and gave much credit to their approach in helping him break the World Record. He specifically mentioned how important the leg and gluteus/butt muscles were...how much power they can generate.
I believe this was in the World Record blurb in DGWN several issues ago.

ryangwillim
Dec 05 2003, 05:21 PM

Bench press has little to do with arm strength. Its mostly chest :D

If you hadn't pointed that out, no one would have known! :mad:

No, for real though, my upper arm is only like 9.5" around.

boru
Dec 05 2003, 06:53 PM

Yes, but total-body strength, chest included, is important when you're on defense. Many people discount this area of the game, but from a sack on the teepad to a good putt-block, playing solid defense can really give you the edge over your competitors.

Dec 05 2003, 08:17 PM
While it is true that arm strength is not usually a limiting factor in distance for most players- after all, discs are light! What does matter is arm speed. And for the vast majority of players, lifting weights and stretching are the two most important ways to increase your speed. I personally saw the greatest increase in my own distance while rock climbing. I would clime one day, practice distance with a camera and repeat. After each climbing session I would gain a few feet- but over 6 months of climbing an hour or two a day, I gained 140 feet! But I believe the previous post about bench press is true- that particular lift has little effect., in mho- which Is probably because I am a puny wimpy girly man.

discette
Dec 06 2003, 10:03 AM
You heard it here first folks, from Peter Middlecamp, 2003 Amatuer National Champion:

I am a puny wimpy girly man.

We all had an idea he was a girly man, but none of us in Minnesota had the guts to ask. :) :) :)

BTW, Peter can throw very, very, very far and he does it with very little effort!!!!!

Dec 10 2003, 07:33 PM
Which would make you a HUGe Muscly BURLy Girl??

You can also Cruuush! (for a Chic...)

:-P

discette
Dec 11 2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks Pete, but you know I don't throw the Crush. It's all about the Beast, baby!!!

And while I am not ultra feminine, and am often thought of as "one of the guys", I am certainly not butch!

Back at ya Girlie Mon!!!

Dec 12 2003, 02:58 PM
Yeah. hehe. Back to the topic. You can expect a lot from Golf. The Best way to learn is to play catch at 300' with a pro. Land it at her feet, copy her form each time, and then switch discs. Start with a lid, then a putter, then a roc/Buzz etc, then a long driver. Each disc gets a hyzer throw, a straight throw, an anhyzer, a roller, a thumber, whatever you know how to do...

gang4010
Dec 12 2003, 03:16 PM
Disc selection may also help you gain a little distance - and an appreciation for differing flight characteristics. Your roc and cheetah are probably better beginning discs than the beast. I'd recommend a cobra or stingray to any beginner - as they are generally a little easier to learn to control.

Some good advice here, play catch from increasingly greater distances. Another good thing to do to learn your discs - and all the things they are capable of - is to play rounds with just a single disc. This will force you to learn what they do under different throwing conditions, speed, etc.

Welcome - have fun! And Good luck :cool:

DweLLeR
Oct 31 2004, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the world of disc golf!

Arm Speed is the last thing in a long long list of what is needed to acheive long distance drives. There are so many factors involved they can be really confusing to someone thats just starting out. The best advise I ever got was to play rounds with players that are better than you AND the open field throwing.

Most people are better suited to pick up on the techs watching them, not necessarily reading about them. Im not bashing reading its a great thing but unless you have all the jargin down, it can be confusing for a beginner. Playing with the pros will introduce you to the jargin.

If you can throw 200' and control it, landing inside a 20' circle with each throw, thats a great great start. You will hear alot of pros talk about control over distance and power. Develop control first, the distance and power will come with confidence and practice.

Disc weight does have validity but if you start throwing lighter discs not only are they affected by the weather (wind, mainly) they will be real real easy to make mistakes with. Stick with what feels comfortable for you and keep throwing, regularly.

Happy discin!

Boneman
Oct 31 2004, 09:39 PM
I'm in a very similar situation as a beginner ... having not played since the late 70's. A lot has changed.
I've been learning a LOT here on this board, and have been doing all the things that have been suggested here in this thread. I can see some improvement in my game and technique, but also see that it's going to take some work to get my game up to where I would like it to be.
I have bought both of Scott Stokely's videos and they have really jump started my technique. My question is, are there any other good videos to watch that show good technique and are not so "formal" in a training/learning sense? Any recommended tournement DVD's?
Since I live in a more remote area ... up in the mountains of Colorado ... where we are getting our first snows (I played 18 at CMC today in blowing snow ... and was not suprised to be the only player on the course.), I dont' have the luxury of being able to play with better players or even to watch other players very often.
It's going to be hard to train and improve with winter coming on ... but I will be giving it 100% effort.
Thanks for all the great advice!

Oct 31 2004, 09:54 PM
I find winter to be the best training, you cant do a huge run up and power the disc to where it needs to go you gotta work on a lot of technique during the winter
thats why the betters players play all year round.

Nov 01 2004, 03:27 AM

I was watching footage of a competition in which Matt Blakely was throwing against some much larger pro's (Chris Heeren and Al Schack to name two) and he had such a smooth relaxed stroke that it almost looked lazy, but man did his discs fly, I think he consistently out drove his competitors, so I don't think it is size and/or strength that is as important as technique.

jdubs63
Nov 01 2004, 01:41 PM
Size helps, but it's not near as important as form and technique. I'm 6'5", 235lbs and have an older brother that's just about the same size. I out distance him by a good 75 - 100 ft constantly b/c he just tries to muscle the disc. He gets so ****** at me b/c it doesn't even look like I'm throwing that hard but my disc sails past his b/c I have much better form. Then there's our 55 year old father with one good knee who can sidearm it almost as far just because he practices. Distance will come in time, work on your accuracy and putting.

Nov 01 2004, 01:52 PM
I'm 6'0", 145, and I can still crush it. I'll be the first to say that I don't have much upper body muscle at all, and it's not a problem. I would go so far as to say that lower body muscle is just as if not more important, since proper technique starts in the legs which drive the rest of the throw.

Nov 01 2004, 02:22 PM
I've been playing since April and I've noticed that while some of my improvement has been gradual, some of it also comes in bursts after I have a technique epiphany and then recover from changing my technique (one step back, two steps forward). The first one was when I finally discovered "snap" and that added some distance in a big chunk. I had another when I realized I wasn't pulling striaght enough across my chest and I had a big one recently when I realized I've been rolling my wrist over.

One thing that I've been finding helps is to avoid blaming your discs for your technique flaws. Say you're rolling your wrist over and that's making your discs turn over (something I fight with a lot). It's really easy to just write off the Leopard as being too understable and then grab a Firebird to compensate and pretend that the Leopard is "too flippy" for your "huge" arm. Instead, it might be better to continue using the Leopard, or some other disc that might magnify the problem until you correct it. It will be a big pain in the short run and add lots of strokes to your game until you get the problem fixed but will be a huge benefit in the long run.