Jul 01 2003, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I've seen allot of great posts on here but not that directly answer my question that I can find.

Would anyone be able to take the time to tell me the appropriate way for throwing a hyzer shot vs. an anhyzer shot and also how to throw an understable disc to make it go straight, and overstable disc to make it go straight etc...also what situations do you want to use an understable/stable/overstable disc? I was looking at the Innova site and it seems that almost all of their discs are stable to understable right out of the factory...

It seems to me that if I want a disc to hyzer I have different options.

1. I can lower my arm down to create a "hyzer angle" (is that the right term).

2. I can tilt the outside edge of the disc down while keeping my arm straight during my pull-thru.

I would basically reverse this for anhyzer...

Is there another way to do it? Are these methods correct? Which way would you chose or would you do one over the other or a combination of the two situationally?

Also, if I want more of a straight shot during the high speed portion of my flight on an understable disc would I want to put hyzer on it? Same question for an overstable disc, but would I want to put anhyzer on it?

What disc do I want to use and why from the perspective of overstable/understable and stable? I don't mean which Innova disc, which disccraft disc etc...I mean which of the three overstable/understable/stable do you use in which situations.

Lastly, is there anything you can do to make your disc not fade so much towards the end of the flight but rather have it come sitting down nicely and relatively close to the initial direction you throw it in? I notice that allot of times, especially with overstable discs, I get a huge amount of low speed fade at the end of the flight that either puts the disc well off the mark or if I didn't throw it correctly to begin with it fades back towards me as the thrower vs. maybe fading forward towards the basket.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brad

Jul 02 2003, 08:28 AM
For a really good hyzer shot you must commit to leading with your shoulder. For me every shot is a hyzer. If you can throw 350', then you can hyzer flippy discs such as a JLS and achieve a beautiful 400-450' turnover shot. If done propperly with a flippy midranger you can get your disc to fly and drop relatively straight. I have started putting on a hyzer as well. Beadless putters stand right up, fly and drop straight! When you hyzer a stable disc you get a nice straight flight that ends with a left fade. And one of my favorites is to hyzer overstable discs out to the high right of the pin. This is known as a spike hyzer and can really help your game.

Jul 02 2003, 09:33 AM
Here is a link to an article I wrote.
I think it answers the how to throw an understable disc correctly!
There are also a few other articles to read that are interesting as well
http://www.gatewaydiscsports.com/articles/fly3.html

discgolfreview
Jul 15 2003, 12:38 PM
Brad, i will try to comment on your questions as best as possible...

as for throwing a hyzer...
your reference to lowering your arm down is correct, however, i will try to describe the mechanics that entails a bit so you have some focal points. in terms of the orientation of the disc in your hand, at the peak of your reach back, the outer edge of the disc will be above your hand. this will be achieved by a slight rotation of the forearm so that the inside of your forearm will be facing slightly up (as opposed to perpendicular to the ground when throwing flat), and your hand below the disc. as you go through your pull through the orientation will shift and this should give a hyzer angle release.

the second part of the throw is that you will need a slight bend at the waist, however, i prefer to think of this as lowering your front shoulder a little on your reach back so that your back shoulder is higher than your front. this should give your body a slight tilt and naturally give you a slight bend at the waist that should help in throwing a hyzer.

as for an anhyzer throw, you would reverse the orientation of the disc during your reach back and have the outter edge lower than your hand. the rest of the motion will depend on what type of anhyzer you are throwing, but a few things are important. you will need to have your weight forward and over (or slightly ahead of) your plan/pivot foot. the angle of the follow through as well as wrist roll can help dictate how much turn you get on the disc, i.e. a wrist roll over and a follow through lower than your release point will lead to more turn. in terms of footwork, most players recommend (assuming a right handed throw) starting back right and finishing front left of the teebox when throwing an anhyzer which will close up your stance a little.

now to complicate things a little...
there are 2 kinds of hyzer throws depending upon which direction you release the disc. assuming a rh throw, throwing a hyzer out to the left (~15 degrees or less off center) will start the disc with a nose down orientation and make it easier to flatten or turn. this type of throw i have heard referred to as a "hyzer flip," and it is often useful for roll curves with an understable disc, "flip flat fly straight" type throws with a stable to understable disc, or an s-curve distance throw, depending upon wrist roll, your power level, disc choice, etc.
pulling the disc out slightly to the right will expose flight plate from the start and fly with a gradual hyzer line throughout its flight (assuming the disc is stable to overstable). this type of throw is generally used for shots that require a constant left fade or knife hyzer. understable discs thrown this way may still turn/flatten.

as for reducing low speed fade, there are only a few things i know of to combat that. throw more nose down. keep the disc flying lower. throw less overstable discs. i recommend not fighting the natural tendencies of the disc.

as for your choice of understable/stable/overstable disc and the line you wish to take, that is very dependent upon what is in the way, where you would like to finish, what the wind is like, ceiling, hazards, etc. lots of your choices will be based on what you are comfortable with and what you see as strong points in your throw. also, as a rule, hyzers have more predictable kicks off trees. a basic "shot chart" type layout might be for you as follows:
straight flight:
-flat release, stable to slightly overstable disc
-hyzer relase to the left, stable to slightly understable disc
straight flight and finish left:
-flat release, slightly overstable disc
-hyzer release to the right, slightly understable disc
gradual right turn:
-flat release, slightly understable disc
-hyzer release to the left, understable disc
-anhyzer release, stable to slightly understable disc
gradual left fade:
-flat release, very overstable disc
-hyzer release to the right, stable to overstable disc
s-curve:
-flat release, slightly understable disc
-hyzer release to the left, slightly understable disc
-anhyzer release, overstable disc

i recommend practicing all of these as it never hurts to have more shots in your bag. i rarely play a round where i don't find myself throwing most, if not all of these types of shots and i find certain choices are more applicable to the situation.

hope this could be of some help
please correct me if i posted any erroneous information

blake t.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/

Jul 15 2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks for your response. I am a bit confused now on the hyzer/anhyzer concept though.

I am a lefty but for simplistics for everyone else I'll address my question as a righty as I'm now in the habit of interpreting all the posts from a right handers perspective.

If I want the disc to go to the left(RHBH) I can put hyzer on it to make this happen correct?

So, you are saying that the outer edge (the edge that is away from my hand gripping the disc) needs to be slightly pointing towards the sky. It also sounds like your arm needs to be pointed down towards the ground.

So in sum, to throw a normal hyzer shot I should bend at the waist a little bit to get into a more natural hyzer position, let my arm come down angled towards the ground instead of pulling it across my chest parallel to the ground but have disc actually oriented with the outer edge pointing slightly skyward.

I have never tried this before and it sounds difficult to do but it may be easier than I am thinking it is.

The two ways I have tried to hyzer the disc before are as follows...

1. Keep the disc flat in its orientation to my forearm, meaning the disc is always lined up with the bone leading to my elbow. BUT, I lower my arm to make the disc fly at a "hyzer" angle...this seems to make the disc fly in a wide arc doing kind of a dive bomb towards the target at the end.

2. Angle the outside of the disc DOWN in my hand but pull my arm straight across my chest as normal. I haven't formulated any opinion on what this does but it doesn't seem to hyzer. From what you are describing this is the way I'd want the disc to point for an anyhzer.

So, if I can just somehow figure out what you are talking about with the hyzer I figure I can just reverse the logic for the anhyzer.

Jul 15 2003, 09:07 PM
p.s. Blake T...I really like your site...I think it is awesome.

discgolfreview
Jul 16 2003, 10:40 AM
Brad, thanks for the comments about my site =)
i'll try my best to describe what i had written a little better. i will continue writing for rhbh as when i try to describe for lefty's, i often end up slipping back to writing for righty's.

as for disc angle... at the rip/release point the outter edge of the disc will be lower than the inner edge of the disc (in relationship to "inner" being closest to your body). from the release point reach back from the disc and find the orientation that makes this orientation the easiest to achieve and gives you the best use of the strong muscle groups as the disc comes across your body and keeping the disc parallel to your forearm.

for many players, this will require a slight rotation of the arm and a slight bend at the waist. the starting grip orientation on the disc will vary from player to player at the starting point as some players keep their hand in front of the disc at all times while others will have their hand more around the disc. the part of this that will be the same is that your knuckles will be angled somewhat towards the ground, and the inside of your forearm will be somewhat angled towards the sky with the underside of the disc facing your body (all these things in relative comparison to a flat throw). as you will see, this will require your hand to be "below" the disc at the start of the pull. the pull will probably start from a slightly lower position than your normal flat throw. just remember that there are 2 positions to watch, the start and the finish. your goal is to have the starting point make your desired finish the easiest to achieve.

as for #2 which you mention above, you will want the disc to stay parallel to your forearm at all times as this is necessary to get good wrist snap.

also, in terms of the bend at the waist... i always describe the bend as being incidental motion and to think of it more as lowering your front throwing shoulder, so at your reach back, the front shoulder is lower than the back shoulder. this should generate the slight bend at the waist you need in a more natural manner than focusing on the bend itself.

most of these adjustments will be minor on many of the shots you will be throwing and very rarely will you want to push these to the extremes. knife hyzers will require the most bend at the waist, having the disc most vertical in the start position, pulling from the lowest point, etc.

with some experimentation, you should find a number of things that contribute to disc flight stability that are nearly as important as the wrist angle. wrist roll, pull vs. push, center of gravity, nose angle, open/closed stance, etc. but as for basic mechanics, hopefully what i have written will help a little.

blake t.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/

Jul 16 2003, 05:46 PM
I think I get it now...

For a hyzer...

Your disc will be outer edge up towards the sky and the bottom of the disc will be facing you on the pull back but this is just to help facilitate correct positioning of the disc for the hit. At the hit, the outer edge of the disc will be more angled towards the ground.

For an Anhyzer...

Your disc will be outer edge facing towards the ground and the top of the disc will be facing you on the pull back but this is just to help facilitate correct positioning of the disc for thit. At the hit, the outer edge of the disc will be more angled towards the sky.

I hope I have it now, I have seen allot of people throwing this way and often wondered why. Thanks for all of you with putting up with my long posts, I don't have allot of people to help me out on the course and I'm sometimes a bit reluctant to ask for help when out there.

Regards,

Brad

rhett
Jul 16 2003, 07:10 PM
It's easy: hyzer/anhyzer is side-to-side angle of release. Mung is "angle of attack" or nose-to-tail angle of release.

Assuming your throw is flat (no mung) like you want in golf, then looking at your disc immediately after it leaves your hand for a righty throwing backhand the disc will look like the little line below:

flat: -
hyzer: /
anhyzer: \

Those are pretty extreme hyzer/anhyzer angles!

for a lefty throwing backhand:

flat: -
hyzer: \
anhyzer: /

discgolfreview
Jul 17 2003, 05:30 AM
Brad, sounds like you've got it. hope it's able to help you on the course

blake t.

Dec 25 2003, 11:57 PM
Brad,
Here is a simple explanation for throwing with Hyzer.
I always teach beginneers to learn to make a disc climb from Hyzer to flat or a light turn by using their own velocity and revolutions.
http://www.gdstour.com/articles/fly3.html

Dec 28 2003, 10:05 PM
Yes. Dave has good method there. To me it depends on the flight you want to achieve. You can throw a 3 parts length to one part fade, a 3/4 shot, which is the most common shot out there. Everybody throws this one. Set it out there, it fights a bit but never turns over, then sails left about 2/3 of the flight, then lands about 3 times as far as it did left. Then there is the constant hyzer, which basically carves a weighted semicircle. Just depends on the route. The most basic way to do this is to lean forward. Keep the same approx 90 degree angle of throwing arm to body, but lean over your whole throw, not just the arm, which tends to cause sky pilot throws. my .02

Jan 06 2004, 02:41 AM
Man. I killed the thread didn't I? Sorry 'bout that.