Oct 31 2002, 10:10 PM
I was just watching "Scubs" and Tom Cavanagh was playing JD's older brother (Ed). They were sitting in JD's living room talking about what they were going to do on Halloween, when Ed says we are going to have to play some frisbee golf. Thats NBC, nation wide. /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

Chris Hysell
Nov 01 2002, 09:26 AM
I saw it too. I wanted to post it but got side tracked laughing at that funny show.

Nov 01 2002, 10:53 AM
Yep, saw it too. Always liked that show ever since its debut. Now I like it even more.

seewhere
Nov 01 2002, 11:15 AM
I was in the kitchen getting a beer and thought I heard that..but thought I was hearing things.. COOL

discette
Nov 01 2002, 11:19 AM
Saw a campaign commercial for Norm Coleman. (He is running for US Senate in Minnesota.) There is a clip of Norm and his wife playing catch with a Frisbee. I bet Walter Mondale couldn't throw a Frisbee, let alone catch one. Who would figure the Republican candidate would be the cool one?

anita
Nov 01 2002, 06:18 PM
He would be cool is he was shown spinning that disc on his teeth a la Crazy John. Just playing catch, marginal on cool...

Nov 01 2002, 08:15 PM
There is a guy by the name of Martin Sargent that is a host on Tech TV,(screen savers). He makes statements about disc golf regularly, I think that is cool. The show air's from the San Fransico area.

Nov 02 2002, 11:46 AM
I heard Paul Wellstone could jam like a mutha.

May 04 2003, 10:38 AM
The following is an article in todays edition of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

By Neal Shulenburger
Disc golf keeping Ash busy

Fayetteville-Jeff Ash of Fayettevile continues to make a name for himself in the world of disc golf.
Ash, 45, recently teamed with Kyle Power of Norman, Okla., to win the amateur advanced men's division at the World Doubles Championship at San Saba, Texas.
"Because it involves hand-eye coordination, disc golf seemed like a natural progression for me," said Ash, a former University of Arkansas baseball player. "It was great to win the world doubles championship, especially after the poor showing I had at the 2002 world championships in Miami."
Disc golf is somewhat similar to golf, except there are no clubs or balls. Participants throw flying discs into baskets that are mounted on poles. The scoring system is the same as gold. Each hole is assigned par, and the object is to get the lowest score possible. Each throw is counted just like a stroke in golf.
Power and Ash had a four round score of 231, finishing five throws ahead of their nearest competitors. they largely won the event because of a course record 53-throw third round.
"For the first two rounds we were up and down, but the third round was lights out," Ash said. "Nothing could go wrong for us."
Now Ash is turning his sights toward his ultimate goal. He wants to win the world amateur masters singles championship and eventuallyturn pro and compete on the Pro Disc Golf Association tour.
"My intention was to turn pro after the world championships in Miami, but I got busy and didn't have alot of time to practice," Ash said. "I didn't like the way I played, so I decided to give it one more year."
For now, Ash plans on competing at the World Amateur Championships in Kansas City and has qualified for the Pro World Championships in Flagstaff, Ariz. He also holds the world record for the 45- to 54- year-old age division with a throw of 557 feet.
Disc golf certainly keeps Ash busy. Ash, a special education teacher in Farmington, has started a disc dying company called Brainwave Disc. He is also president of the Fayetteville Disc Golf Club.
The club consists of approximately 30 players who play regularly at Gulley Park, but Ash and club members are trying to get a second disc golf course built in Fayetteville. Currently, the Gulley Park course is the only course in Fayetteville.
"It's a nice course, and I'm glad that we have it here," Ash said. "But it's a multiple=use park, and when it's busy I'm suprised that more golfers don't get hurt."
Plans for a new course have received tentative approval from the city parks and recreation advisory board, but Ash said the club needs to find a landscape architect to plan a new parking lot before the new course can become a reality.
"It looks like it is going to happen," Ash said. "That's one of the projects that I'm focusing on right now. Disc golf has meant a lot to me, and I would like to help the sport grow in this area."

jeffash
May 04 2003, 01:08 PM
Disclaimer-
I was misquoted, or misunderstood, by the writer.
He asked what was on the horizon for me, and I mentioned that I was going to try to break the my age group world distance record at the next Big D in the Desert. I never stated, or implied, that I had set a world record.
I also was misquoted/misunderstood when I was addressing the safety issues at our park. I said I was surprised that more park users (joggers, walkers, etc...) hadn't been injured by errant discs.
I'm not sure where he got the idea that Kyle and I set a course record either. ???
I am grateful that the article brought some more exposure to disc golf in Northewst Arkansas, and I hope that it expedites the installation of our new course. Many thanks to the Democrat Gazette and Neal!

May 04 2003, 01:51 PM
/msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif (http://www.nwanews.com/adg/story_sports.php?storyid=29103)

memphisdiscgolf
May 04 2003, 07:21 PM
Good Article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal about our Tournament this weekend.

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_1934087,00.html

May 04 2003, 07:32 PM
nice article,it also didn't say they played from the short tee's(at San Saba)
Adv. my *****
/msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gifLOL

willyc
May 04 2003, 10:58 PM
Way to go YuccaBoy!! /msgboard/images/clipart/proud.gif

May 04 2003, 11:16 PM
The Daily Oklahoman just printed a FULL PAGE article ON SUNDAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SPORTS SECTION on disc golf in Oklahoma City. This was some great exposure and something nice to show potential sponsors. go here to see
http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=1020747&pic=none&TP=getsports:

May 05 2003, 12:22 AM
Jeff, I did not know that you did brainwave dyes! Hey, bring a few to Norman Pro/Am for trade/sale.
As for the course record and world distance, we know you were just putting the baggers spin on it.

jeffash
May 05 2003, 09:49 AM
Jerry, If you have ever done interviews before, you understand the frustration that can result from being misunderstood, or misquoted. I tried to be as specific as possible, but...
The world record part only gives me added incentive to try to break it in June. I hope the next Big D is in June...
No idea where the course record part came from. Kyle? John?/clipart/wink.gif
The part about me being worried about disc golfers being hurt is hilarious. I bet I get a call from Parks and Rec today./clipart/proud.gif
I'll bring a few Brainwaves with me.
Major news coming on the Brainwave front this week!!!/clipart/happy.gif

hapner
May 05 2003, 09:51 AM
The disco kid: Soquel High senior Nate Doss takes his disc golf seriously (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2003/May/03/sport/stories/01sport.htm)

May 05 2003, 11:26 AM
Jeff, I understand. I once tried to save a guy that was drowning. There were about 4 or 5 of us trying to find him in murky water. To this day, 26 years later, I still remember the news reporter saying that no one tried to save him. It is frustrating to say or do one thing and then have it reported in another way, because it sounds better.

May 05 2003, 11:29 AM
Marty, that was a good article!

hapner
May 05 2003, 04:52 PM
hi jerry,

if you go to the archive section of the Santa Cruz Sentinel [www.santa-cruz.com], you will find 30 or so articles on disc golf over the past few years..

keithjohnson
May 05 2003, 08:48 PM
hey jeff..at least they got this part right! /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

It was great to win the world doubles championship, especially after the poor showing I had at the 2002 world championships in Miami."

jeffash
May 05 2003, 09:49 PM
Keith, I knew I could count on you to remind me... again!/clipart/wink.gif

jbitner
May 06 2003, 12:56 AM
jeff, your weren't the only one that didn't show up in miami. your partner there didn't show that day also. /msgboard/images/clipart/sad.gif maybe another time. jb

keithjohnson
May 06 2003, 04:05 AM
i'm just glad you remembered you played in miami.... /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

by the way the BEAUTIFUL jls you gave me in miami drowned at the fountain during my HORRIBLE first round this year......i had only thrown it 3 times during warm-ups and a couple of times in a field in tucson(i didn't throw it until mid feb)......
i parked it in practice on the hole across the water(number 6) and was using it again for real on that hole(sponsored by lorelei!!)
well unfortunately i slipped in the wet grass and the disc went about 100 feet from the shoreline and about 75 feet beyond the cactus covered island
...needless to say.............that one aint leaving the fountain until they drain it again...

anyways if you are still reading this is it possible to get another earliest run you have 174-175gram jls brainwave??
let me know.......thanks ...keith

jeffash
May 06 2003, 10:35 AM
I'd be honored Big Bit.

Keith- How about a Q-JLS?

May 07 2003, 12:17 PM
from the Powerball (http://www.powerballs.com/scoreboard.php) website...

Now we're cookin'!

The Juggler from South Africa is back with a fine 13923 contri to open the stakes for May! Well done Jaco...another 14k club member in the making no doubt.

We're still expecting good things from Mr. Jeff Ash - who is a hot candidate to topple Paul's world record at the top of the scoreboard. Jeff is a disc golfer of world standard having recently become the 2003 World Amateur Doubles Disc Golf Advanced Master Champion - we're proud to have him on the board and are equally delighted to have him use our product like this to help boost his game play.

Mountain climbers, jugglers, disc golfers, tennis players, golfers...it doesn't matter what you get up to in your spare time - if you are out there and have a powerball and a pair of powerful wrists as a result, get spinning, get your camera's out and get us those scores!

And like Leonardo...you too could be on top of the world [record scoreboard!]..

Later dudes - Rory

keithjohnson
May 08 2003, 01:04 AM
By Jeff Ash on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 06:35 am:

Keith- How about a Q-JLS?

as much as this will probably shock you,no thanks......i have one that i've thrown about ten times and once i learn to throw it in all conditions,it will save me lots of strokes......but i really love the regular plastic jls...i can throw that a mile and when a liitle beat up i can throw it on hyzer angle into a headwind and it will flip up and fly straight or keep turning...so if you have an older run heavy weight that would be fine....
THANKS ALOT!!!!
i have something cool that i can trade you for it if you want...keith

idahojon
Jul 01 2003, 10:06 PM
We held our first PDGA sanctioned tournament here in Blackfoot, Idaho, this past Saturday. Great article in the local paper on Monday morning. Check it out at: http://www.am-news.com/articles/2003/07/01/sports/sports02.txt

terrycalhoun
Jul 02 2003, 09:06 AM
Nice coverage, Jon, and it's in the *sports* page - around here if we get coverage it's in "lifestyles" or something like that. Very nice.

idahojon
Jul 02 2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Terry. And in the print version it was the lead story in Sports that day. Three color pictures (unfortunately they don't put the photos on the website) and a large headline. took over half the page, with a sidebar on how to get started in DG and contact info.

caldwell
Jul 05 2003, 03:45 PM
Front page article, Cincinnati Disc golfer trying to spread the disease!

HankRodrick (http://www.washtimesherald.com/display/inn_news/news41.txt)

Jul 06 2003, 09:06 AM
way to go hank you're the man , Thanx for the heads up Pete. Just don't teach them your 360' go Cinci boys

terrycalhoun
Jul 09 2003, 10:57 AM
One of Michigan's Ten Best Travel Secrets - Disc golf, from the Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/2003/entertainment/0307/08/e01-212084.htm.

terrycalhoun
Jul 09 2003, 10:59 AM
From Florida Golf News: "Hyzers and Anhyzers" - go to http://www.detnews.com/2003/entertainment/0307/08/e01-212084.htm and click on the article name in the "Articles For The Month of 6/10/2003" heading.

Chris Hysell
Jul 09 2003, 12:04 PM
Same link Terry. Try this and follow his directions.

https://flgolfnews.com/articles/#

Jul 09 2003, 12:10 PM
LOL....guess he got too excited!

/msgboard/images/clipart/proud.gif

terrycalhoun
Jul 09 2003, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I do get excited when I see DG in the news /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

Jul 09 2003, 07:36 PM
...Terry Miller gets mentioned (http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/jul03/153659.asp)...

Jul 09 2003, 07:47 PM
...and again (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/etc/jun03/151803.asp)...

rhett
Jul 10 2003, 01:17 AM
Ryan, Megan, and I made the local news again Monday night. They did a spot on the Grand Opening of Emerald Isle. The golf course people are currently trying to get permission to post it on their website, so I'll post a link if they succeed.

Jul 10 2003, 01:34 AM
Did you get a hair cut yet? /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

Jul 10 2003, 01:43 AM
Keith Johnson where"s my copy of my interveiw from Am Worlds last year? Can't you send me a copy? I will send money and Billy Bob if need to. /msgboard/images/clipart/proud.gif

jasonc
Jul 10 2003, 01:20 PM
Sports sectio of the Star Telegram has a story on "weird sports" with Disc golf among them. Pretty good interview with Jeff O and a picture of Mike Brooks putting on th front page.

discndat
Jul 10 2003, 10:08 PM
http://www.washtimesherald.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2003/June/18-3391-news44.txt

http://www.washtimesherald.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2003/July/01-2358-news01.txt

Go for it Hank!!

keithjohnson
Jul 11 2003, 01:40 AM
By Jeff Boles on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:43 pm:
Keith Johnson where"s my copy of my interveiw from Am Worlds last year? Can't you send me a copy?

i answered you OVER 11 MONTHS AGO JEFF!!!!!!! when you last asked the same question on another disc golf in the media thread and by the way....
i'm still waiting /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

By keith johnson on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 01:44 am:

a vcr that dubs tapes and 500 dollars
and the shorts are great around the house.....i'll try them out on the course if i ever play again

Jul 11 2003, 02:04 AM
So! /msgboard/images/clipart/proud.gif

my_hero
Jul 11 2003, 02:21 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/6271893.htm

Fort Worth Star Telegram 7/10/03

my_hero
Jul 11 2003, 02:24 PM
Posted on Thu, Jul. 10, 2003

Wide world of weird sports

According to a report from the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association, the nation's most popular sport isn't golf or tennis or basketball. It's bowling. Treadmill exercise is No. 2, and fishing is third. The Professional Disc Golf Association boasts more than 20,000 members on its Web site.

One of those disc golfers is Bedford resident Jeff Ohnesorge, 31, a technical analyst for a software company in Southlake. He first tried the sport in 1994, though he was a reluctant beginner.

"My older brother tried to get me to come out to play for like three years, and I just told him he was such a weirdo for going out and throwing Frisbees with his friends in the park," Ohnesorge said after some warm-up tosses at Bear Creek Park in Grapevine. "Then I went out one time, and I was hooked. That's all it took."

Ohnesorge said he was one of those kids who "just wasn't good enough" to play the mainstream sports in high school, but with disc golf's short learning curve, he found his niche. He tries to play at least twice a week, and he was routinely throwing discs 500 feet before breaking his ankle last year. He bounced back from that injury to win an advanced amateur tournament in Arizona in December.

"It is by far a distinct subculture," Ohnesorge said. "We all have that certain similar bond that stretches across every occupation. I literally know a guy that lives in a car, and he lives to play disc golf. One of the greatest golfers of all time is a pediatrician who is 60-something years old. I'm a computer geek, and I play with guys that sleep in their cars. It's all kinds, all walks of life. It's amazing."

The beaten path

The top 15 sports activities and recreational endeavors in the United States, based on participation in 2002, with participants age 6 and older in millions:

1. Bowling 53.2
2. Treadmill exercise 43.4
3. Freshwater Fishing (not Fly) 42.6
4. Tent camping 40.3
5. Billiards/pool 39.5
6. Stretching 38.4
7. Fitness walking 38.0
8. Day hiking 36.8
9. Basketball 36.6
10. Running/jogging 35.9
11. Stationary cycling 29.1
12. Dumbbells 28.9
13. Hand weights 28.5
14. Weight/resistance machines 27.8
14. Golf 27.8

Source: SGMA International. Nos. 16 through 30 on Page 7D

The second 15

The sports activities and recreational endeavors in the United States ranked from 16-30, based on participation in 2002:

Sport Participants age 6 and
above (in millions)
16. Calisthenics 26.9
17. Barbells 24.8
18. In-line skating 21.6
19. Darts 19.7
20. RV camping 18.7
21. Target shooting 17.6
21. Soccer 17.6
23. Abdominal device 17.4
24. Hunting 16.5
25. Tennis 16.4
26. Touch football 14.9
26. Saltwater fishing 14.9
28. Horseback riding 14.6
29. Fitness swimming 14.5
30. Ice skating 14.5

Source: SGMA International

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nathan Sanders, (817) 685-3861 [email protected]

thcplz
Jul 12 2003, 04:09 AM
my hero,
just curious,is disc golf computed into golf(14) or are WE not even in the top 30???

OH KAPTIAN MY KAPTIAN/msgboard/images/clipart/proud.gif

my_hero
Jul 12 2003, 08:37 AM
We didn't make the top 30/msgboard/images/clipart/sad.gif Maybe next year. KK/msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

keithjohnson
Jul 13 2003, 12:33 AM
well seeing number 30 is 14.5 MILLION....i would say it will be a FEW years before we in disc golf would even be close /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

tanner
Jul 17 2003, 04:00 PM
Did anyone see Sportscenter last night or this morning? I did. 3 times. They where ******** about not having anything to show since the 4 major sports weren't in session (post all-star, pre-rest of the season). So, they compiled some footage of "other sports", including a hot-dog eating contest (Kobayashi is still the man), extreme ironing (grand-canyon style), and the red-neck olympics. Ok, here's the point, on the opening film segment, they show a guy doing a 360 disc golf drive. Very well could have been KJ. Once they started counting down the top 10, I quickly realized that disc golf had no part in this top 10. But nonetheless, they have footage of a 360 CRUSH!!!!!

Has anyone seen this before?

Jul 17 2003, 04:38 PM
That's just pathetic.

Just wondering...how many times a month is ESPN approached to cover a Super Tour event?

tanner
Jul 17 2003, 08:35 PM
I dunno, but if they get some good edited footage of killer disc out there, I'm sure it would spawn some outside (of the DG world).

What's pathetic?

Jul 18 2003, 01:00 AM
I saw the same DG clips too Tanner. They showed that same clip (1/2 to 1 sec. long) at least twice during the show.

Jul 18 2003, 01:02 AM
KJ I still want a copy.
PLEEESSE /msgboard/images/clipart/proud.gif

keithjohnson
Jul 18 2003, 01:16 AM
see upthread for answer /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif
vcr tapes cost almost 75 cents apiece these days and if you count in my production costs editing and mailing costs...500 bucks is a bargain /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif
(or you could get it as fast as disctv gets their dvds out to people or the 2002 worlds video gets out to people,etc)....

when i get an answer from the pdga you'll get your tape....so start holding your breath now and i'll be in touch with you with the same speed that they replied to me /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif
worse case scenario i'll bring it to you in iowa next year,since pro and am worlds(where you'll still be)are combined /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

oxalate
Jul 18 2003, 12:29 PM
The restaurant my wife and I ate lunch at yesterday had ESPN on and as I walked by I swore I saw someone make a disc golf drive, but it was very brief and couldn't be sure that I actually saw it. Thanks for the confirmation - my wife thought I was dreaming again!!

Check out the following link for an article that appeared in yesterday's (7/17) Herald Journal in Monticello, Indiana.

HWY 421 Disc Golf Course (http://www.thehj.com/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=7569&Sectio nID=9&SubSectionID=32)

tanner
Jul 18 2003, 01:01 PM
schew! For a second there, I thought I might be crazy.

Does Sportsloop have any pull with ESPN? They have a little cash. They could bribe them into airing DG footage.

Jul 18 2003, 01:03 PM
These aren't exactly media, but they are related.

There was a ton of printed press covergae here in Santa Cruz related to the World Disc Games. Almost every day of the week the event ran, the Sentinel had some thing about the event or disc related enterprises.

But two other very interesting things happend here in Sanat Cruz lately.

1) The Disc Golf Course at DealVeaga has finally been aknowledged on the city map. The Sanat Cruz city street maps of yor just had the area that is the disc golf course as a vague extension of the greater park area.

2) The Pro shop (ball) at Delaveaga has decided to start selling discs, shirts, hats , shoes and so on. They're grand opening is this weekend July 19. That means your father, lawyer, doctor, or whatever could soon walk into their local pro shop, or at least ours, and see one of those funny basket things and those weird frisbees you'bve been talking about for sale next to those new clubs they've been eyeing

I think that this event is suptle, but extemely significant.

I would imagine that first will come denail, then a curuis interest, and slowly, acceptance....

Could this be the sign that we have passed over from "Alternative" to "Main stream" ?

I just hope we don't have to start wearing knickers and those funny hats : )

JS

Jul 18 2003, 05:53 PM
What's pathetic?

ESPN showed a brief shot of someone driving, but then proceeded to show (and degrade by association) 'a hot-dog eating contest, extreme ironing (grand-canyon style), and the red-neck olympics'.That's pathetic.

If they were, like you said,'******** about not having anything to show since the 4 major sports weren't in session', then why didn't they show more disc golf footage? Also pathetic.

Jul 22 2003, 10:24 PM
We are lucky enough to have a new player that is also one of the top TV Camera man at his station playing with us and he came out to our Wednesday night Mini last week and took some video and did some interviews. Well the story ran tonight on the 6 sports as the main story in sports. We had about a 2 minute spot on disc golf at Pleasure Island tx and our website www.GTDiscGolf.com (http://www.GTDiscGolf.com) . It will run during the 9pm WB news and the 10pm sports and possibly the morning news tomorrow. Hopefully we get the sports director to come out and play a round or 2 with us and get a weekly disc golf tips segment like the Ball Golfers get. We can dream. Anyways, I just thought i would let everyone know what was going on here at the course that hosted the '94 and '95 Pro Worlds.

Jul 22 2003, 10:29 PM
Forgot to say that as soon as we get the story over to Dave Estrada he will get it on his website www.pleasureislanddiscgolf.com (http://www.pleasureislanddiscgolf.com) and then we will have it on ours shortly after that for all to see,

Jul 23 2003, 12:08 PM
Sweet Nut-case......looking forward to seeing it.

mattdisc
Jul 23 2003, 12:58 PM
New Jersey Disc Golf in the news @: http://www.c-n.com/news/c-n/story/0,2111,770837,00.html

neonnoodle
Jul 23 2003, 01:15 PM
It says: "ON THE WEB:
For more information about disc golf, visit the Professional Disc Golf Association Web site at www.pdga.com. (http://www.pdga.com.)"

It needs to add a warning: "Just don't go to the discussion board! Whatever you do..." /msgboard/images/clipart/proud.gif

specialk
Jul 25 2003, 02:33 PM
In "Pointblank Des Moines", an alternative rag in Des Moines, IA. An article entitled, "I am so not Working Today". Bascially a list of things to do when you blow off work in Des Moines. This one is 15th on the list:

"PLAY DISC GOLF. You could play regular old golf, but that wouldn't be very original would it? Besides, the boss man might be lurking on the course somewhere 'cause you know he really doesn't work. Disc golf rules are the same as regular golf, but it's not as dorky. You can buy special discs (drivers, putters, etc...) at any sports store or just take your regular frisbee and look like a loser. There are 18 courses within 30 minutes of Des Moines. Our faves are at Waterworks Park, Grandview Park, Ewing Park, and Gateway Hills Park in Ames. For more info go to www.dsmdiscgolf.org. (http://www.dsmdiscgolf.org.)"

-comment: The author obviously has not played Walnut Ridge, or else he would have added that or at least replaced Waterworks with it. Also glaringly absent was any mention of the 2004 Worlds to be held next summer.

Jul 31 2003, 01:33 AM
Just a couple of seconds ago, Tom Green Show in the background. I over heard him talking about ashes in a disc....Steady Ed maybe? Of Course!!!

I jumped up and watched the 1 minute segment. Tom was with Ed's Grandson. They had a putter with the Ed stamp and a lid (not sure if the lid had ashes as well but Tom acted like it). They only threw the lid and Tom was acting as usual, a bit stomach turning to the Disc Golf die hard, but funny nonetheless. A young kid even got his hands on the 'bee and started biting on it. At one point the Grandson hit a tree and Tom ran over to see if Ed was okay. I'm sure he was, cuz' another bit of exposure puts another frisbee in somebody's hand!

Keep 'Em Flyin' Ed!!!=======o {>[]---

Tony

jeffash
Aug 02 2003, 08:53 AM
Here's an article from the -
Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/6439071.htm)

Aug 02 2003, 10:06 AM
Great article Ash.. Congrats on the win and Good Luck at the worlds

keithjohnson
Aug 03 2003, 02:18 AM
nice jeff....see you at flag

Aug 04 2003, 08:58 PM
Come check out the News story that our local news station did on Disc Golf in our area. We have a digital version on our website so please come give it a view. www.gtdiscgolf.com (http://www.gtdiscgolf.com) there is a link to it on the main page. Thanks

Aug 04 2003, 09:16 PM
http://www.gtdiscgolf.com

bigchiz
Aug 05 2003, 02:26 PM
Disc golf in the financial world!

BusinessWeek magazine has an article about disc golf:Look, Ma, No Clubs (http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_32/b3845111_mz025.htm).

Chris Hysell
Aug 05 2003, 03:41 PM
That's crazy. It's dated Aug. 11th, 2003. I went forward in time and read it.

jconnell
Aug 05 2003, 04:23 PM
Photos taken by the Business Week photographer, along with some taken by one of the participants, for the article at Pyramids XIV tournament on July 12, 2003.

http://www.pbase.com/shartwell/pyramids14

You can tell which ones are the pro photos. Can't tell you if any of them got into the print version of the article.

--Josh

Aug 06 2003, 12:20 AM
Sandra Day O'Connor plays? I wonder if the resort they're talking about is Sandy Point.

Aug 06 2003, 05:31 AM
Hmmmm, Sandra is sneaking up to Legends age....maybe she's waiting till then to go to worls.....[*****] sandbaggers...../msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

-Big Bad Bob

Aug 06 2003, 10:24 PM
OK, am I the only one that got the PDGA email from Terry Calhoun? If not, am I the only one that noticed the last line of the message where Terry signs off as a member of the Professional Dics Golf Association? Was that a Freudian slip, or was he secretly trying to get a jab in at Keith's expense? /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

lauranovice
Aug 07 2003, 09:29 AM
Dan, I got the e-mail. You've got to love those typo's, especially when they so great and humorous.

jackinkc
Aug 07 2003, 02:47 PM
You gotta love the BW article! That was tight. Can you imagine what Sandra would do to an 804.05 violator? Man that would be CRAZY, and not Crazy John Brooks!
/msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

Excellent press, I love it!!!

Aug 07 2003, 02:50 PM
No other disc golf resorts in Wisconsin, must be Sandy Point. I'll have to remember to ask Mike & Michele about that when I go up in about 6 weeks.

ck34
Aug 08 2003, 01:48 AM
Private site. Not Sandy Point.

mule1
Aug 08 2003, 07:22 AM
There is a brief mention of disc golf and a picture of a disc golfer (along with about 20 other pictures of various sports) in this weeks Sports Illustrated. This is in conjunction with the Missouri State Games.

rickb
Aug 08 2003, 07:42 AM
ABC Family channel has a program that features two teenagers from across the country that swap places for a few days just to see how the other half lives.
Recent episode has a girl from High Point NC swapping with a girl from Cali. The friends of the girl from High Point took her to the Johnson Street disc golf course where they played footage of about a minute to minute and a half of them golfing.

Aug 08 2003, 10:15 AM
Stan, check out the picture of Coleman farther up on this thread. Classic.

mule1
Aug 08 2003, 06:17 PM
Nice picture. He sure is getting big. Whatever you do,,,, Daniel,don't let your babies grow up as disc golfers.......

idahojon
Aug 29 2003, 07:08 PM
New course at Utah State University

http://hjnews.townnews.com/

Look for the link that says, "Teeing off"

gnduke
Sep 02 2003, 11:51 AM
Mace on the Price is Right.

After a weekend of editing and compressing, a version of Mace's moments on stage with Bob Barker is available. Special thanks to Larry Kruse for finding room on the HFDS server for the clip.

It is a 32 meg file, so probably can't stay available on the server long since TX states is coming up and web space is valuable.

Best results may be obtained by right clicking on the link and saving the file to your local drive before playing.

The link is : .

gnduke
Sep 02 2003, 11:54 AM
Mace on the Price is Right.

After a weekend of editing and compressing, a version of Mace's moments on stage with Bob Barker is available. Special thanks to Larry Kruse for finding room on the HFDS server for the clip.

It is a 32 meg file, so probably can't stay available on the server long since TX states is coming up and web space is valuable.

Best results may be obtained by right clicking on the link and saving the file to your local drive before playing.

The link is : http://www.hfds.org/html/texas_events.html.

ching_lizard
Sep 02 2003, 12:45 PM
Mace did a great job of plugging for our sport!

Kudos Brian! /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

terrycalhoun
Sep 02 2003, 01:09 PM
Yep, he did. When I just watched it I was very impressed. He stayed calm and was very articulate. Excellent job, Brian! /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

aerohead
Sep 02 2003, 03:21 PM
Sarasota's local rag ran this over the weekend.

http://heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030830/COLUMNIST06/308300388/1162/SPORTS04

Also, the 24 local news station, Sarasota News Now had the accompanying video. I didn't get to see it though. I was too busy in Baton Rouge...

Butch

Pizza God
Sep 02 2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks for posting it on the HFDS web site. I have been trying to see it for a long time. It only took 2 hours to download, but I got to see it.

Very good job Brian, I could not do that, I would have frozen.

Sep 10 2003, 12:11 PM
O.K, Last night on the Spanish show "Ver para Creer" they did a 5 min. piece on disc golf. It was all in Spanish. The course they were showing was somewhere in Houston, Tx. My spanish is pretty good so I understood the whole thing. I did notice that the guy they were interviewing said his discs weighed 175 ounces. Thats 10.9 pounds right? His name was Gustavo.

rhett
Sep 10 2003, 02:48 PM
Too bad I wasted my time in high school taking "Freedom" instead of Spanish! /msgboard/images/clipart/sad.gif

Sep 10 2003, 05:45 PM
Did you see it Rhett?

james_mccaine
Sep 10 2003, 07:06 PM
Either Gustavo must of meant grams or those guys were some bad [*****] golfers.

rhett
Sep 10 2003, 07:25 PM
Nope, but if I spoke Spanish I might've been watching that channel! /msgboard/images/clipart/happy.gif

md21954
Oct 29 2003, 01:37 PM
this (http://www.amiannoying.com/view.aspx?ID=8906) is most certainly not annoying!
please vote

Jan 19 2004, 09:47 PM
RADL, 2004 Ice Bowl in Raleigh News and Observer (http://newsobserver.com/news/nrn/story/3234881p-2893195c.html)

girlie
Jan 19 2004, 10:01 PM
Great Article! :D

Chris Hysell
Jan 20 2004, 10:34 AM
Walter told me there was a good picture of Todd in the paper on Friday. That was a good article even though there were some statistical errors. Todd Markov tied for 5th at Laurel Springs in the Am Nationals in 94, not 93.

bschweberger
Jan 20 2004, 10:37 AM
That was alot of ink for our great sport.

jefferson
Jan 20 2004, 10:47 AM
a guy at work actually came up to me and mentioned it, i didn't even know it was in the paper. raising awareness, me likey.

MTL21676
Jan 20 2004, 11:21 AM
http://newsobserver.com/news/nrn/story/3234881p-2893195c.html

theres the article....have fun reading about "Pig Me Man" lol

jefferson
Jan 20 2004, 11:45 AM
damnit MTL, wasn't that posted 6 posts up?

MTL21676
Jan 20 2004, 01:10 PM
my bad

Jan 20 2004, 02:11 PM
have fun reading about "Pig Me Man" lol

Too funny. Stupid reporter, and the editor was sleeping???

Jan 21 2004, 10:58 PM
Fox Sports Detroit aired a segment on the Ice Bowl held in Troy, MI (Detroit area) @ Firefighters Park. Unfortunatly, I didn't see it, but a couple of friends told me about it.

grambo
Jan 24 2004, 11:12 AM
I just heard Kelly Cass on the Weather Channel say it would be a good day to get out and play some DISC GOLF!
She must be talking about some place besides South Texas....

dannyreeves
Jul 07 2004, 07:54 PM
I just got a call from a writer from the Ft. Worth Star Telegram. He has a recreational article on Wednesdays. He is doing an article on the top 5 courses in DFW. I gave him my picks and also told him about Cedar Hill. Hopefully he will add part to his story.

He said it will run either next Wednesday or the following Wednesday. I will try to remember to post a link.

discndav
Jul 13 2004, 12:18 PM
http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/july/f071104a.htm

Jul 13 2004, 07:24 PM
nice story but you can tell the guy writing the story new very little about it by the trems he/she used

memphisdiscgolf
Jul 28 2004, 06:24 PM
There was a great write up about the 2004 Southern National Doubles Championship in the Memphis Commercial Appeal which is the main newspaper here in Memphis. Something I found really cool was that it was in the Sunday Sports Section, Page 2. I thought THAT was great! You can read the article here.

Disc Golf Article (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/other_sports/article/0,1426,MCA_1757_3062182,00.html)

You'll have to sign up (free) to access it.

Brad

specialk
Oct 14 2004, 06:51 PM
October, 18 2004 Time Magazine
'Notebook' page 20

Notes 5 different playground and park games that are hot on college campuses. Others include inline skating, dodgeball, kickball, and paintball. Trying to compress the essence of the sport into one long sentence, there are a couple of minor mistakes:

"Frisbee Golf- Playing on golf courses, devoted college players use as many as 13 different disks to throw for drives, chip shots and putts"

Iowa State University must be ahead of the curve in this story. Not only do they have a world-class disc golf course, but they are also mentioned in the paintball blurb for tearing up some tennis courts to build a paintball field.

xterramatt
Dec 15 2004, 08:46 PM
Just spotted Disc golfers on the NBC nightly news during a climate report. It was freezing in the south, but in Fargo, it's warm! They showed 2 shots of disc golfers playing in, what else, the snow. Disc golfers are hearty folks!

my_hero
Mar 17 2005, 01:56 PM
I think someone needs to write a story about the newest World Champion Doubles team, The Hatfield - McCoy team!!!

After several generations of family fueding, this has to be the first time the two families have joined forces and became victorious.

Who was at San Saba that might be able to compose an article? It should be submitted to S.I., and all of the local, and NATIONAL news stations. :D

girlie
Oct 16 2005, 12:51 PM
I was flipping channels this morning in Southern Utah and landed on Fox 13 where there was a segment on a morning kids show about Disc Golf. The host of the show and 2 teens were being led around a disc golf course in Utah by a more experienced player. The rules of the game were explained well and it was shown to be a fun sport for beginners! Nice to see Disc Golf getting some TV exposure! :cool:

Oct 16 2005, 09:30 PM
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (http://tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&id=169567793&cf=0&lineup=us_NC32405&ch annels=us_WWAY&chspid=166031648&chname=ABC&progutn =1129503600&.intl=us)
One of the host was playing "frisbee golf" with the kids using homemade baskets.

"We're on the 9th hole, we're playing frisbee golf"

Oct 16 2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah. I'm watching that right now. Talk about tuggin on the old heart strings.

I am hoping they will upgrade their baskets :)

crusher
Oct 16 2005, 11:04 PM
Do you all think that it is possible to raise money to upgrade those baskets at Camp Barnabas?

I think that all of us disc golfers have it in us to do a good community project, don't you?

I will donate the first $100.00!

Mar 03 2006, 11:21 PM
Extreme Make-over Home Edition is in Sabine Pass, Texas right now restoring some of the city after Rita leveled the place. GTDG President Jeff " El Jefe" Thompson's company was called in to do some work for the project. He stuck a PDGA sticker on his hard hat and said he jumped in front of every camera that got near him. Keep an eye out for the episode which should air in a few weeks!

Jeff_LaG
May 01 2007, 01:04 AM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid626918902?bctid=607718179

doot
May 01 2007, 01:40 AM

Awesome! Thank you John (and Jeff)...anyone know what course they were filming on?

Jeff_LaG
May 01 2007, 11:58 AM

Awesome! Thank you John (and Jeff)...anyone know what course they were filming on?

Doot, that is Upper Macungie Park in Fogelsville, PA. It's a nine hole course with three wooded holes and the rest out in the open up on a plateau overlooking the Lehigh Valley.

jdflyer
May 01 2007, 12:03 PM
that video was done at the Upper Macungie Park just west of Allentown. We filmed that a number of months ago, so I'm really pleased to see it finally make it to the Web.

Men's Health has been VERY supportive of disc golf. We've got many of the staff hooked on the sport, so we should look to some more features on our great game in the future.

John D.

tokyo
May 01 2007, 12:26 PM
Check this out,Coda's ace this weekend the hole is actualy 400 ft, the sign never got changed though
www.youtube.com/profile?user=Darkenforcer78 (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Darkenforcer78)

Jeff_LaG
Jun 29 2007, 03:11 PM
Shelby Farms Disc Golf--Memphis TN News Story (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kvchAqtpSc)

tyson99duke
Jul 16 2007, 02:21 PM
Greensboro, NC - Sunday Sports Section, article about some kid named David Wiggins Jr. (http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070715/NEWSREC0105/707150328/1021/GTCOM)

MTL21676
Jul 18 2007, 05:13 PM
more about Dave Jr. and also Andrew Coggin - two defending world champions from the same town..

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/Spo...mp;pageId=6.2.1 (http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3799867&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=6.2.1)

llfour
Jul 18 2007, 11:15 PM
Very Cool. Proud to say I was in the Advanced field that Wiggins beat for his first advanced title. I played the 2nd round with him when he shot 11 down in the woods. His energy level is off the charts. Great kid

gotcha
Jul 30 2007, 04:18 PM
Here's a newspaper article (http://www.yournorthhills.com/mcknightjournal/article/84565/Nothing-can-stop-dedicated-disc-golfers-from-competing/) from the McKnight Journal about the 2007 Scholl's Bicycle Centers ~ Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open:

Nothing can stop dedicated disc golfers from competing

Jeff Rickel
Contributing Writer
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The 19th Scholl's Bicycle Center Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open, which took place the weekend of July 14 and 15, was a success, with 111 players coming from across the United States and Canada to play the courses at Moraine State Park and Knob Hill. One player even participated after being in the emergency room the day before the tournament began.

Jerry Gotcher, one of the promoters for the Lakeview Disc Golf Course at Moraine State Park, woke up Friday and could hardly open his eyes because of swelling. His hands were also swollen and his body was covered in hives. He had been preparing the course Wednesday afternoon and had an allergic reaction to an unknown source. His wife quickly took him to the emergency room and Gotcher thought he wouldn't be able to play in the tournament. Fortunately, by Saturday the swelling had gone down and Gotcher was able to compete.

"On the way home from the hospital I stopped [by Knob Hill] to tell a few friends I wouldn't be able to play," Gotcher explained. "But thanks to modern day medicine I almost completely cleared up by Saturday so I decided to play."

Gotcher went on to finish sixth in the Masters division, which was the last place to earn a payout.

The tournament itself was also a success and has come a long way, boasting a draw of competitors that included 10 former or current disc golf champions.

"These courses are some of the best in the world," tournament director J. Gary Dropcho said. "Nineteen years ago we had 50 players and it was held in Frick Park. Now it's one of the best tournaments on tour."

Dropcho, who finished third and in the payout in the Grandmasters division, explained that the courses have evolved with the game of disc golf. Since the sport was invented in 1975, technology has allowed competitors to throw farther with more accuracy. The par 66 Moraine State Park course and the par 60 Knob Hill course are long courses that challenge players.

"These courses are designed for today's players and equipment," Dropcho said. "They have par 3's, 4's and 5's, and lots of elevation. Knob Hill also has a lot of hills and the disc can roll away, leaving players with tougher shots than their last one."

"What's wonderful about Lakeview (Moraine State Park) is it's designed for the top pros," Gotcher said. "Most courses are designed for recreation, but this one is one of the most challenging in the world."

Earning most of the attention was the Jenkins family, with two first place finishes and a second place. Avery Jenkins won the Men's Open division with a 25-under-par performance. Avery is also a member of the national tour and is one of the world leaders in distance. His sister, Valarie Jenkins, won the Women's Open division with nine-over-par, seven shots ahead of the next player. Their father, Leroy Jenkins, took second place in the Grandmasters division with a one-over-par performance.

"Leroy has been playing for 20 years," Gotcher explained. "And his kids have become some of the top players in the world, so it was special to have them at the tournament and do so well."

Dropcho was very pleased with the way the tournament turned out and is looking forward to next year's milestone.

"It was excellent, we had incredible support from our sponsors and communities," Dropcho said.

"The tournament has grown quite a bit and we're really excited for next year, which will be the 20th year of the tournament."

m_conners
Jul 30 2007, 05:15 PM
Here is a link to a newscast talking about disc golf at Course Riverside. I thought it was a good peice on disc golf.

The disc golf portion of the video starts about 2/3rds through the video.

Tell me what you guys think.

Fox 23 disc golf telecast (http://www.fox23.com/mediacenter/[email protected])

my_hero
Jul 30 2007, 05:35 PM

Any exposure is good, well, maybe not when a dog brings back a bag of tweed that his owner tried to ditch as officers walked up. :D I use to live at 44th and Riverside (1992-94). It was the first basketed course i ever played. Great memories of T-Town.

m_conners
Jul 30 2007, 05:39 PM
The original baskets are still there!

The trees are much bigger now as well, more places for the hippies to stash the grass :D

my_hero
Jul 30 2007, 05:40 PM
Did the concrete blocks grow too?

exczar
Jul 30 2007, 07:46 PM

Any exposure is good, well, maybe not when a dog brings back a bag of tweed that his owner tried to ditch as officers walked up. :D I use to live at 44th and Riverside (1992-94). It was the first basketed course i ever played. Great memories of T-Town.

Hey, I lived near 41st & Yale from 1990-92, musta just missed ya! I first played Riverside when I won the Regional Qualifying Tournament there for the first WDGC in California in 1982.

m_conners
Jul 30 2007, 07:54 PM
Did the concrete blocks grow too?

They are still there and as loud and proud as ever! I kind of like em' because when a person is stuck putting around/over them it can get pretty funny.

ChrisWoj
Jul 30 2007, 08:10 PM
I hear that in the Star Wars movies there are multiple references to the Innova Star Destroyer, in order to avoid copyright infringement they called them "Imperial" Star Destroyers, but you know they were obviously paying homage to disc golf.

Pizza God
Aug 21 2007, 05:05 PM
ok, so this had nothing to do with Disc Golf, however I am quoted several times and my pic is in the article.

http://www.lonestaricon.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=1762&z=167

m_conners
Aug 21 2007, 06:04 PM
Nice hat, Bryan. :D

http://www.lonestaricon.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/1762-aP1010005%20-%20Buckman.jpg

my_hero
Aug 21 2007, 06:09 PM
LMAO!

Pizza God
Aug 21 2007, 07:46 PM
ha ha ha :mad:

http://www.lonestaricon.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/1762-aP1010019%20-%20Bryan%20James.JPG

Actually my hat has button on it, it says "employer U.S Army"

Jeff_LaG
Jul 25 2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.necn.com/Boston/Sports/Sport-of-disc-golf-gains-popularity/1216943249.html#

Pizza God
Aug 04 2008, 10:30 PM
I just saw this posted in the Club section

Local Carrollton Players on the News not related to disc golf, playing disc golf. (Danny Waldron, Mike Anderson and Jason Hughes)

http://www.wfaa.com/video/wfaageneral-index.html?nvid=268885&shu=1

okcacehole
Aug 04 2008, 10:33 PM
it is on our thread :)

Jeff_LaG
May 20 2009, 02:22 PM
And oldie...but I love it!

http://www.ravaged.net/stuff/numb3rsdg.avi (http://www.ravaged.net/stuff/numb3rsdg.avi)

(If all you get when clicking on that is audio and no video, try installing the DivX codec ... http://www.divx.com/divx/download/ (http://www.divx.com/divx/download/))

cgkdisc
May 20 2009, 04:11 PM
Was buying paper at Office Max today. A ream of paper: Boise HDP had packaging showing a sign for a Park Dept listing activities of which "Frisbee golf" was on there.

my_hero
May 20 2009, 08:53 PM
Home sick for 2 days. Lots of daytime TV time. Stopped on Dish Network's "World Fishing Network HD" to watch some B.A.S.S. tournament sponsored by Skeeter bass boats. The competition was held in Columbia County (Augusta) Georgia. The PDGA logo was shown several times during the show everytime they showed the entrance to one of the parks in use. I'm pretty sure the sign mentioned the IDGC. Of course if you weren't a disc golfer than you wouldn't know the logo...........

Jeff_LaG
Aug 04 2009, 04:01 PM
Disc Golf is featured prominently in the Summer 2009 Penn's Stewards issue of the Pennsylvania Parks & Forests Foundation (http://www.paparksandforests.org/). Pages 6 and 7 show excellent photos of disc golfers in action at Gifford Pinchot State Park & Moraine State Park, along with a list of the 9 state parks in Pennsylvania with courses. :cool:

Click here (http://www.paparksandforests.org/downloads/summer_newsletter.pdf) for a direct download of the newsletter.

kUrTp
Aug 05 2009, 11:50 PM
Disc Golf is featured prominently in the Summer 2009 Penn's Stewards issue of the Pennsylvania Parks & Forests Foundation (http://www.paparksandforests.org/). Pages 6 and 7 show excellent photos of disc golfers in action at Gifford Pinchot State Park & Moraine State Park, along with a list of the 9 state parks in Pennsylvania with courses. :cool:

Click here (http://www.paparksandforests.org/downloads/summer_newsletter.pdf) for a direct download of the newsletter.

Hey that's ME in that newsletter. I remember when goocher took that pic last fall. I made that Putt! How would I get a hard copy?

Jeff_LaG
Aug 19 2009, 05:18 PM
Disc golf on ESPN.com!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=mccluskey/090819

junky
Oct 16 2009, 10:26 PM
While watching the Pitt v Rutgers game on ESPN...big mention about Ultimate...just saying.

ChrisWoj
Aug 04 2010, 02:58 PM
http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/usa/New-Twist-on-an-Old-Sport-99850954.html - Voice of America

They came to one of our tournaments in early July and interviewed a few of us for an internationally syndicated piece. She misquoted 25,000 as 2,500... called Jack Fouts a "teammate" as opposed to a "competitor" of mine... but otherwise really well done piece on the sport. :) The woman that did the interview says a friend of hers in Africa already heard it on the radio.

ChrisWoj
Aug 04 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm already catching crap for the video starting "Chris Wojciechowski is a professional golfer, but he doesn't play the game with balls ..." Awesome. lol

ishkatbible
Aug 06 2010, 08:09 PM
the wife and i were watching "Fact or Faked" on sci fi last week and one of the investigations was at a disc golf course in Fresno CA. They didn't announce it but when they parked the truck they were about 15 feet from a basket. it was the "unwanted visitors" part of the show.

krazyeye
Aug 11 2010, 03:07 PM
I have a screen capture of the night footage with the basket in the background.

Yeti
Sep 03 2010, 12:21 PM
NBC Connecticut recently ran a great news segment on the growing popularity of disc golf in the area. Local disc leaders Joe Proud and Dave Mourad invited some of the touring disc golf professionals who were passing through to participate. World Champions Des Reading, Jay Reading and Jeremy Koling provided some great footage for this solid piece on disc golf and Wickham Park.

Des now also has an official "face ace" to her credits:eek:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/station/as-seen-on/Disc_Golf_Hartford.html

eupher61
Sep 12 2010, 04:12 AM
http://www.onlyagame.org/media-player/?url=http://www.onlyagame.org/2010/09/saturday-september-11-2010/&title=Professional%20Disc%20Golf&segment=7&pubdate=2010-09-11

Only A Game, usually on NPR stations (it's an APM show, isn't it?), had a feature on the Vibram Open this week. (Sept 11 show)

CHeck out the audio, and look at the pictures on the main page too, www.onlyagame.org

stve

davidsauls
Sep 13 2010, 11:36 AM
This was surreal for me because I was playing a tournament Saturday morning. When I turned on my car to leave me house, this segment was on the radio. So I was going to a disc golf tournament, listening to a national broadcast about disc golf.

cevalkyrie
Sep 19 2010, 07:34 PM
Some not so good DG News.
http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_ec9ab136-c125-11df-b7cf-001cc4c002e0.html

Jeff_LaG
Sep 19 2010, 09:55 PM
He claims to be "a professional disc golfer" yet his PDGA membership is not even current?

cevalkyrie
Sep 20 2010, 01:40 PM
He claims to be "a professional disc golfer" yet his PDGA membership is not even current?

Not sure what's up with that. He played the A-Tier at Lemon Lake in May and also played Pro Worlds.

wsfaplau
Sep 20 2010, 01:41 PM
Come on Jeff LAG back off. The dude was 20th at worlds this year.
Its real, it happened, and he is a professional discgolfer.

Jeff_LaG
Sep 20 2010, 10:35 PM
Come on Pete KENNY back off. All I did was look up the dude's PDGA membership which strangely lists him as not current.

Its real, it happened, he is not PDGA current.

NOHalfFastPull
Sep 21 2010, 01:37 AM
What about due process?
Has he been removed from the current list to save the bad PR for our organization?

:confused:

rhett
Sep 21 2010, 03:49 PM
How does a non-PDGA-current player compete in PDGA Pro Worlds?

SteveHardyman
Sep 22 2010, 01:48 AM
How does a non-PDGA-current player compete in PDGA Pro Worlds?

He was current until last week. PDGA and Innova wasted no time eliminating him. Sad turn of events for a very good player.

johnrock
Sep 22 2010, 10:36 AM
Will he get his membership fees returned?

rhett
Sep 22 2010, 05:23 PM
He was current until last week. PDGA and Innova wasted no time eliminating him. Sad turn of events for a very good player.

Was he sponosred by Innova? If so, they have every right to dump him upon arrest.

But what about the PDGA? I certainly don't condone allegedly transporting 78 pounds of weed, but I also don't recall signing or acknowledging a morals clause when I signed up for or renewed with the PDGA. What is the basis for revoking or "expiring" his PDGA membership? Do people who happen to be PDGA members and get DUIs or B&E arrests also get "expired" from the PDGA?

Just curious what's going on here. Seems like a much bigger bite for the PDGA to take on than we can handle.

jconnell
Sep 22 2010, 05:57 PM
I have an extremely hard time believing the PDGA canceled his membership due to his arrest. EXTREMELY. There is a disciplinary process in place within the PDGA, is there not? Players currently serving suspensions, on probation, etc? Why wouldn't this player be treated in the same manner as any other member, especially when his actions had/have no direct impact or connection to the organization whatsoever?

NOHalfFastPull
Sep 22 2010, 10:17 PM
From the disciplinary actions page:
behavior inconsistent with PDGA image....Indefinite Suspension

Is this suspension the result of his arrest?
Is it because he told the officer he was a professional DGer?
Or is it merely because a reporter wrote the news piece?

What if he was an am player with a 745 rating?

Can I report the pDGA BOD for making the pDGA look bad?
Three month probation and no soup for you!

steve timm

SteveHardyman
Sep 23 2010, 02:35 AM
I have an extremely hard time believing the PDGA canceled his membership due to his arrest. EXTREMELY. There is a disciplinary process in place within the PDGA, is there not? Players currently serving suspensions, on probation, etc? Why wouldn't this player be treated in the same manner as any other member, especially when his actions had/have no direct impact or connection to the organization whatsoever?

I understand it is hard to believe but it is true. He played in a Montana tournament the week before as a current player and by the time news of the arrest spread around different forums Innova had removed most records of him from their site (he was a sponsored player) and the PDGA had him listed as inactive. Apparently they feel his actions do have an impact on the image of the organization I am not saying they were right to do so, just that it happened. It is the fastest I have ever heard of anyone being suspended but I do not research such things. Jeff is a good friend of mine, a great player, and he apparently made a couple stupid choices. I think being suspended by the PDGA is the least of his concerns right now.

cwphish
Sep 24 2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.pdga.com/nt-points-standings-update

Isn't this Jeff?

wsfaplau
Sep 27 2010, 12:46 PM
Yes it is.
He is still ranked 44th

cgkdisc
Nov 07 2010, 10:52 AM
Interesting article, not so much regarding the most powerful person but the stat on the decline of ball golf and the issues they face:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/meet-the-most-powerful-person-in-golf-and-its-not-tiger-wood/19703153/

NOHalfFastPull
Nov 12 2010, 12:14 PM
Got your attention. Check out our progress.

http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/9040714-large.jpg

www.nola.com (http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/11/disc_golf_course_opens_in_city.html#comments)

cgkdisc
Nov 16 2010, 01:23 AM
Not disc golf but the precedent set here might be relevant down the road: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/11/15/golfer-hit-bad-shot-sues-friend-yelling-fore/?test=latestnews

keithjohnson
Nov 16 2010, 02:53 PM
USA Today Snapshot in bottom left corner front section shows the USA throwing a disc!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/snapshot.htm?section=N&label=2010-11-16-boomerstates

Drew32
Feb 06 2011, 08:01 PM
http://wkyt.videogenesis.net/preview?beginminute=26.9&endminute=33.0&startfield=26%3A54&endfield=33%3A00&synapses=yes&showstring=20110205_2300-065-27_Newsfirst_at_11&vote=none&interval=unknown&station=WKYT&btrim=0&etrim=0

Yep I'm pretty happy that we got another disc golf related story in the news that portrays us (disc golfers) in a positive light. The segment starts at the 30 minute mark.

bbotte
May 13 2011, 06:57 AM
This weeks episode had one of the caracters talking to their friends in a bar about meeting a date and getting in the date's car and the date explains their love for the car and that they like to drive and blast Dave Mathews. So the character gets out of the car and says they are done with the date.

It flashes back to the character in the bar and his friends ask him "What's wrong with Dave Mathews?"

To which the character replies, "Next thing you know I will be playing Frisbee Golf and taking it way too serious."

Ha Ha.

bbotte
May 13 2011, 04:41 PM
Pretty silly my thread got merged here, so if you search you have to dig through a thread that spans to 2003. We need some people on here that understand messageboards and how they are supposed to work. This thread is a nightmare. "Disc Golf in media" should be a section, not one giant cluster of 1 thread 8 years long.

bruce_brakel
Sep 28 2011, 01:11 AM
"The Bird and the Bee Sides" by Reliant K has a frisbee golf reference in the lyrics.

keithjohnson
Oct 10 2011, 10:52 AM
They ran the piece 3 times this morning during the newscasts.

All 3 segments they ran had different banter after the piece ran and during one of them that was sorta mentioned how different throwers are as they said muscles didn't matter as much as technique for throwing.

That Keith Jackson guy :) said some good stuff, but they did mangle a couple of other things I said - they left out the Alpharetta Visitors and Convention Bureau in people responsible for Wills baskets and turned the part about the area adding 12 courses since I moved here into I helped get 12 in the last few years when I only had a hand in 4-5 and 3 directly.

Overall a pretty good story!

Video link to front page Better Mornings Atlanta story: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/category/209315/bettermornings

Jeff_LaG
Oct 10 2011, 12:35 PM
That dude Justin can actually throw! :eek: :cool:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/video?clipId=6334266&autostart=true

billmh
Oct 10 2011, 05:17 PM
Keith Johnson: Media Superstar!

Nice piece, and articulate presentation. Good on you Atlanta folks!

keithjohnson
Oct 11 2011, 11:52 AM
That dude Justin can actually throw! :eek: :cool:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/video?clipId=6334266&autostart=true

Yeah, he's been playing since 1996 - but not in Events - and got his start at the Brent Hambrick course in Columbus, Ohio.

It was a good piece and informative for those who did not know about the sport for the most part - and except for that Keith Jackson :) guy wearing the nice Vibram Open shirt the others looked good also.

Justin stuck around and played 18 holes with me, Brad and Chris after the shoot and Justin only lost by 4 strokes to Brad on a course he saw for the first time, and was leading all of us after 8 holes, although he only plays a couple of times a month.

Fossil
Oct 31 2011, 09:31 AM
Happened to glance at TV at 8:15 am eastern Halloween morning and saw a DisCatcher and someone Tebowing. (The Tebow one knee praying pose)

It was included with numerous other Tebowing incidents.

pterodactyl
Dec 01 2011, 04:27 PM
Some guy throwing a lid off of a bridge while a guy in a speed boat jumped out of the boat to make the sweet catch. This could be voted play of the week vs the one handed football grab. Go vote!

drdisc
Dec 08 2011, 12:27 AM
That guy is Brodie Smith(?) one of the best Ultimate players at the Univ. of Florida.
He has some amazing videos on youtube. Check out the one with him and another guy throwing a basketball. That bridge/boat shot was seen all over national TV including CNN and The Weather Channel. After he hurts his knees or ankles , he may become a pretty good golfer?

quickdisc
Dec 28 2011, 06:48 PM
Any word on when the 2011 Worlds DVD will be shipped ?

cgkdisc
Feb 09 2012, 11:27 AM
Here's an interesting nugget that could have wide ranging implications:
http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/35511/Wham-O-supports-Frisbee-Golf-tournament (http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/35511/Wham-O-supports-Frisbee-Golf-tournament)

If given permission by Wham-O, should we consider changing the name of our sport to Frisbee Golf or stay with disc golf?

wsfaplau
Feb 09 2012, 05:33 PM
Here is another interesting nugget.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/08/la-county-oks-1000-fine-for-throwing-football-frisbee-on-beaches/

cgkdisc
Feb 09 2012, 05:43 PM
I think it might be clever to create some catch discs with a hot stamp on them that simply says, "Beach Ball" and see what happens...http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

wsfaplau
Feb 23 2012, 01:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=Ar0HYnVF1ckTK8HyCAVqTuvwvuN_?slug=ycn-11001496

Jeff_LaG
Jul 26 2012, 10:55 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=8749445

This might be the best TV piece on disc golf I've ever seen...it's got world class players, not one but TWO different ace runs from Barsby, and none of the typical inaccuracies about the sport that often get misreported in these type of segments.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=8749445

quickdisc
Aug 15 2012, 08:22 PM
2011 Worlds DVD ! 2012 World's has Finished !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone tell me when the 2011 Worlds DVD will be shipped ?

I know the dates have changed several times.

I Pre-Ordered it Last Year !

Very Upset with PDGA Business !!!

drdisc
Aug 27 2012, 02:47 AM
Since WhamO is owned by China now,maybe we will see some action over there?