Originally Posted by petershive
I have already seen your post on another thread, and almost responded to it there. Thank you for reposting it here.
Very complex issue. The PDGA would make the following points:
1) They should be able to require such things for events that they "own" as well as ones they run. That includes showcase events to which they provide a stipend, like NT's.
2) They won't require compliance until the system is brought to the point that it can offer seamless and rapid updates. That would remove some of your objections.
3) They have accepted modifications to PDGAsignup (see the PDGAsignup section of post #7 above) that will make it more generally attractive to the membership and to TD's.
I am sympathetic to all these arguments, and I might be persuaded to vote "yes". However, I doubt it. I have two objections, somewhat different from yours, and somewhat more fundamental than the above sympathies.
1) I feel that TD's are our most important resource. I have said that they are more important, even, than the PDGA. I would like to allow them the maximum possible freedom of choice.
2) I worry about the precedent. I do not want to see the requirement steadily extended until all events are forced to use PDGAsignup.
I'm probably missing some relevant arguments, and I invite other opinions from all. Also, I assure you that the PDGA will be very interested in the results of that survey.
I'll chime in so you can see another board member's view:
1. I completely support the required use of pdgasignup.com for PDGA Majors and NT events, but I would not support its use in any other events that are not PDGA controlled, funded or owned. This should be applicable to events that the PDGA provides major financial, marketing and resource benefits. TDs/clubs are not required to host or become Majors or NT events - they do so in partnership with the PDGA,and this is one minor requirement of this partnership.
2. I support the PDGA exam requirement for these same events for the same reasons. I could see this requirement moving downward to A-tiers. Competency of rules should be a basic premise of playing our top events IMHO.