Hart Park - Shark Tooth Mountain DGC
California Must-Play--Easily an honest 4... Hart Park... on the riverbottom flats, is laid out in a surprisingly underused beautiful big park along the kern river. Big mature trees, long holes, problematic pin placements with water hazards. Shark Tooth is a whole different kettle of fish, mountainside setting, tons of russian thistle (large tough tumbleweed). The combined 36 holes is worth a day , with lots to drink, nice picnic, etc. There are feral cats, skunks, I saw a Chupacabra-like mangy coyote, peacocks... Two great DG courses in Bakersfield-- there is Duality for you!!!
This is currently really a 3.5 at least - hope the next reviewer gives it a 4 to get it to that number, and Shark Tooth Mtn. is at very least a solid 4 with tee signs and top grade tees.
Pros - There are MANY. Great elevation, length variation and terrain challenges. You will love this course - the challenges remain exciting throughout. Uphill, downhill, fast greens - thrilling.
- Tees and signs. It is entirely appropriate for a newer course like this to just have rubber mats on the ground - and these are still pretty darn level, but after they are certain about the layout, it would be nice to see the wooden platform method below the rubber tees. No tee signs yet. Like I said - this is proper at this stage of development. When tees and signs are officially done, I will want to change my 3 to a 4.
- Still some debris to be hauled off of the mountain up there (construction material of various sorts)
- It is out in the middle of nowhere (this can be a pro too). Would be nice to have some local info posted. Where to eat? There is a store on the way in on Comanche - but the food offerings there are depressing. Locals mentioned Mexican food and a good local BBQ/Burger place but lazy directions from nice locals did not get us there.
Bottom line? Come play here. Wish this site offered the option to click on a 3.5 rating. Bring the posted map for navigation - you will need it until they have tee signs in.
Courses Close By
- Hart Park - Suicide Flats, Bakersfield CA US
- Riverview Park, Bakersfield CA US
- San Lauren Park , Bakersfield CA US
- Kern River DGC, Bakersfield CA US
- Silver Creek Park, Bakersfield CA US
- Westside Park, Wasco CA US
- Franklin Field, Taft CA US
- Perry Outback DGC, Visalia CA US
- Perry Championship DGC, Visalia CA US
- Troy Korsgaden DGC, Visalia CA US