Simonds Park Disc Golf Course
Pretty decent, technical 9 holes. My only gripe is that there is a picnic table over by hole 3 I think too close to the fairway for comfort. Made me pull my shot somethin' wicked. Otherwise, it's mostly through a great pine forest, and the latter half is laid out quite well. Didn't notice much poison ivy this year. Take a look at the map posted here, finding the first few holes is not intuitive. Nonetheless, with two tees per basket, I'd say this course gets a well-deserved three stars.
We are delighted that there is now a course so close to Boston, even if it is just 9 holes. We were wondering what we'd find, after reading the other review mentioning "hooligans." Those we found were too busy playing on the swing sets to bother us. I think the oldest was about 6. If you are allergic to poison ivy, I would skip the whole woods part of this course (holes 3-9). Serious poison ivy infestation. The tree markings are actually pretty good at getting you to the next tee. The tees themselves consist of yellow-painted 2x4s on the ground.
The first tee is next to some batting cages down the hill from a huge slab of rock, with the first hole up the hill on the other side of some bushes. For the second tee, you must walk around the baseball diamond in front of you, cross the entrance driveway, and across some grass to find it. For the third, walk up into the woods and you'll start seeing some arrows on the trees. The rest are well-marked.
The course is a little rough, with spray painted trees as tee areas and baseball fields and basketball courts (with local hooligans) as nearby hazards. The layout of the course isn't bad, though, considering the amount of space available. If you have to drive any considerable distance, I would probably skip this course. If you live near Boston, however, you can drive over, play nine holes and get home in a couple of hours. The location of this course is the real selling point, obviously, and I will be returning on days that I can't commit a full day to disc golf.
EDIT: I've changed my review to 2/5 instead of 3 because of the horrible case of poison ivy I contracted on the course. Beware.
Courses Close By
- Peabody Disc Golf at Scouting Woods, Peabody MA US(1 vote)
- Olin College Disc Golf, Needham MA USNo votes yet
- Pye Brook Park Disc Golf Course, Topsfield MA US(6 votes)
- Muldoon Park Disc Golf Course, Pelham NH US(4 votes)
- Gordon Conwell Disc Golf Course, South Hamilton MA USNo votes yet
- Devens Disc Golf Course - The General, Devens MA USNo votes yet
- Devens Disc Golf Course - The Hill, Devens MA US(2 votes)
- Town Park (Amesbury Pines), Amesbury MA US(2 votes)
- Dacey Field Disc Golf, Franklin MA USNo votes yet
- Coggshall Park, Fitchburg MA USNo votes yet